Saint Sebastian 100 Race Report

Belatedly, here's my report on my first 50 at the Saint Sebastian 100 in Sebastian, FL.



First, weather. It rained and rained the week before, so the organizers were smart and kind enough to move the course. Our new course was a 5 mile out-and-back. The 5 miles out was on grass that is now my enemy. The return was on the most beautiful packed sand road. The organizers are not to blame for the grass being my enemy; it's just a terrain I'd never trained on and didn't really like.

That grass was a killer because it was high and thick so I had to really lift my legs to get through it. That caused a bunch of pain around my IT bands which are super sensitive. It also soaked my shoes with dew on the first loop, but I was brilliant and brought a backup pair that I changed into with fresh socks at mile 10!

The course was pretty scenic. We ran along a canal with state parks all around. You can see the grassy canal view in the pic above. There was plenty of wildlife, including a cougar at night that I worried I was hallucinating. Mostly, though, I saw a few snakes, lots of birds, and a couple crocs in the canal!

I was so nervous about this race, but overall it was good. My big fear was getting a nasty migraine half way through, which could have doomed me, but I didn't get one at all. I drank coke every 5 miles at the aid stations (THANK YOU, AID STATIONS), and I wonder if that extra caffeine helped. My performance was ok. I had to start walking part of the time after 20 miles because of the problems running in that grass created for me. I wish I could have run the whole race on the road,, but I know my aversion to anything-but-smooth terrain is atypical for ultra runners.

The support at the race was great. Everyone was enthusiastic and kind, the food and drinks were good and plentiful, there were bathrooms at either end. The weather was tough for the organizers, but they communicated really well with us and made all the right choices in my opinion. I would totally do this race again if it moves to a different surface.



I came away with a week-long sense of elation and a plan to sign up for another run like this but on roads. I'm planning on the Keys 100, again doing the 50-mile distance, in May. I have lived in the Keys so I'm intimately familiar with them, and the race is entirely on roads. I hope this lets me see how far I can really run given my training.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Podcasts!

Wildcat 100 Race Report

Jen's Rooster Romp 50K